Brownsville implements preventive measures for hurricane season

Category: News
Published: 2023-06-06
Brownsville implements preventive measures for hurricane season

BROWNSVILLE, TX – On the occasion of the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, the City of Brownsville announced that it is taking proactive measures to prevent accidents among the population.

The City Council reported that the hurricane season officially began on June 1 and will run through November 30. A key part of the preparations involves the distribution of sandbags to residents and local businesses, which will end on July 2.

Residents and businesses will be able to receive up to eight sandbags. Proof of residency was required to participate. Accepted forms of proof include a valid driver’s license or utility bill accompanied by photo identification.

The City of Brownsville distributed the sandbags at four key locations including Monte Bella Park at 2845 W. Alton Gloor Blvd; the Brownsville Event Center; Fronton Warehouse at 3rd Street & West Rail Trail; and the Public Works Office Building.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the 2023 hurricane season is expected to be a near-normal season.

NOAA predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season and a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. 

According to NOAA, 12 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 miles or greater) are forecast. Of those, 5 to 9 may become hurricanes. 

The City of Brownsville thanked all residents and businesses for their active participation in ensuring the safety and preparedness of the community. For more information, City Hall noted that the Engineering and Public Works Department can be contacted at (956) 547-6585.